Skip all navigation Skip to page navigation
NC Department of Health and Human Services
NC Division of
Medical Assistance

How to Apply for Health Choice for Children

Health Choice logoN.C. Health Choice is available only to those children who do not qualify for Medicaid. There is not a separate application for Health Choice. All children who are not eligibile for Medicaid are evaluated for Health Choice.

Applying in Person

You may apply at the County Department of Social Services (DSS) in the county where you live.

If possible, take the items listed below with you when you go to the DSS office to apply. If you do not have some or all of these items, please apply anyway because it is very important to protect your application date. The DSS can assist you in obtaining these items and information.

  • Certified birth certificates or other proof of citizenship/alien status for each individual applying for Medicaid/NCHC
  • Identity documents for each individual applying for Medicaid/NCHC
  • Social security cards, social security numbers, or proof that you have made an application for a number from the Social Security Office, for each individual applying for Medicaid or NCHC
  • A copy of all pay stubs for last month
  • Copies of all medical or life insurance policies
  • A list of all cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, etc. you or anyone in your household own, including the year, make, model, and vehicle identification number (VIN) for each item
  • Most recent bank statements
  • A list of all real property you own
  • Current financial statements/award letters from other sources of income, such as social security, retirement benefits, pensions, veteran benefits, and child support.

You are not required to bring an application with you, but it may speed the process to print and fill out as much of the application as you can ahead of time.

If You are Unable to Apply in Person

If you are unable to go to a DSS office, you may also print and mail completed Medicaid and Health Choice Applications to your local DSS office. Or you may call and ask that an application form be mailed to you. If you are disabled, a county representative may be able to make a home visit to assist you with the application process.  

Faxed applications are not acceptable.

Applications may also be submitted online through ePass, where you can also get additional program information, answers to basic questions, handbooks and information about a variety of other public programs.

Some health centers and hospitals have application forms available and may be able to assist you in completing them. Ready NC Connect NC