By Phone

Complaint Hotline: 1-800-624-3004 (within N.C.) or 919-855-4500

Complaint Hotline Hours: 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. weekdays, except holidays.

By Fax

Please fax your information to 919-715-7724

You may choose to print and complete our complaint form [DOC, 63 KB] [PDF, 75 KB]

By Mail

Mail complaints to:

Complaint Intake Unit
2711 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-2711

You may choose to print out and complete the complaint form [DOC, 63 KB] [PDF, 75 KB].

Common Issues Handled by Other Agencies and Contact Information

The Complaint Intake Unit is available to receive complaints regarding the care and services provided to patients/residents/consumers by health care facilities/agencies/homes licensed by the Division of Health Service Regulation. These facilities include nursing homes, adult care homes, acute care hospitals, home care agencies, home health agencies, hospice agencies, psychiatric hospitals, dialysis centers, suppliers of portable X-ray services, rural health clinics, comprehensive outpatient rehabilitation facilities, ambulatory surgery facilities, abortion clinics, cardiac rehabilitation programs, nursing pool agencies, clinical laboratories, mental health group homes and other 24-hour facilities, outpatient, and day treatment facilities.

Complaints may be shared with our unit by telephone, by facsimile or by postal mail. Our division is only able to investigate complaints regarding incidents that have occurred in the past year and issues that are regulated by federal regulations or state statutes. A complaint form [DOC, 63 KB] [PDF, 75 KB] is available for written complaints but is not required to be used.

Each complaint is prioritized for investigation according the seriousness of the situation. Complaints are investigated by the appropriate licensing section within our division except for adult care homes*. Investigations are unannounced to the facilities/agencies/homes, and complainant identifying information is not shared with the facilities/agencies/homes.

*Complaints received by our Complaint Intake Unit for adult care homes are forwarded to the local Department of Social Services for investigation.