DHHS POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Safety and Benefits
Review of New Construction, Renovation and Leases for Safety and Health Concerns
Current Effective Date:
Original Effective Date:
The department shall initiate a system whereby new and renovation construction and new leases shall be reviewed to assure that safety and health concerns are addressed and eliminated prior to the exposure of department employees to such hazards.
- New Construction and Renovation
- The division/facility/school Safety Director shall review new construction and renovation plans within the division/facility/school to assure that safety and health concerns and regulation compliance are adequately addressed.
- The division/facility/school Safety Director shall conduct periodic inspections of new construction and renovation projects to assure that: 1) safety and health issues and concerns are addressed, and 2) department employees are not being exposed to hazards.
- The division/facility/school Safety Director shall participate in the final inspection of such projects to review the space for compliance with safety and health issues.
- Contracts with construction contractors shall meet the requirements of paragraph II of Safety and Health Policy 10, Review of Purchases and Service Contracts for Safety and Health Concerns.
- The department Safety Program Manager in conjunction with the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) Properties Office shall provide for inspection of properties to be leased by the division/facility/school prior to the signing of the lease, to ensure that the space meets with applicable regulations and does not pose other safety and health concerns.
- At least two (2) months prior to the renewal of any lease, the affected division/facility/school Safety Director shall be notified in order to provide a list of any safety and health concerns that should be addressed prior to the lease renewal.
Definitions (Also See Safety and Health Policy 1 Definition Section) None
- Each division/facility/school shall develop and implement specific operating procedures to comply with this policy's requirements for new construction and renovations.
- The Safety Program Manager shall develop and implement specific operating procedures to ensure inspection of leased properties. A division/facility/school may develop its own procedures, but they shall, at a minimum, incorporate the department procedures.
- The division/facility/school Safety Director and personnel engaged in new construction, renovation, and leasing shall conform to the requirements of this policy and its associated procedures.
- North Carolina General Statutes, Chapter 95: Occupational Safety and Health Act of North Carolina, Subsection 95-129(1)
- North Carolina General Statutes, Chapter 143, Article 63: Workplace Requirements Program for Safety and Health, 143-582(1)
- North Carolina Administrative Code, 25 NCAC 1N.0105(a)
- North Carolina State Employees Workplace Requirements Program for Safety and Health,
- Section 2
- Policy 2.2: Requirements 1.f.
- Policy 2.12.
- Section 3, Policy 3.11
For questions or clarification on any of the information contained in this policy, please contact Human Resources. For general questions about department-wide policies and procedures, contact the DHHS Policy Coordinator.