a. Treat as a change in situation.
b. Review the reserve information to determine if the recipient meets the M-AABD requirements using procedures in MA-2230, Financial Resources.
(1) If it has been less than 6 months since the last review and the countable reserve was less than the M-AABD reserve limit, it is not necessary to reverify reserve unless the recipient reports a change.
(2) If it has been more than 6 months since the last review reverify reserve that is subject to change.
(3) If the countable reserve is more than the M-AABD reserve limit, advise the recipient that reserve must be reduced to the M-AABD reserve limit before authorization for M-AABD can begin. Continue eligibility as MQB-Q or B.
c. Recompute income based on verified income information using M-AABD procedures in MA-2250, Income.
(1) It is only necessary to reverify income that is subject to change (such as wages).
(2) For other types of income not subject to change (such as Social Security or retirement benefits), ask the recipient if there have been any changes. If he states no, it is not necessary to reverify. Document his statement in the record.
d. Establish the M-AABD 6 month certification period beginning the first month of the M-QB certification period. Base eligibility for M-AABD on the certification period in which the month of change occurs.
For example, the MQB-Q and B certification period is January-December. If the recipient reports that he has incurred a medical bill in April which meets his deductible, the certification period for M-AABD is January-June. If he reports he has incurred a medical bill in July which meets his deductible, the certification period for M-AABD is July-December.
NOTE: Do not allow recipient to apply for retroactive coverage under MAABD for any of the months the recipient was authorized for MQB-Q or B. Applicant is locked into the 6 months certification period and must meet a 6 month deductible.