DATE: APRIL 2, 2001
Manual: Family & Children's Medicaid
To: County Directors of Social Services
Effective: May 1, 2001
MA-3220 is revised:
• To clarify that coverage for the 60-day postpartum period applies regardless of the reason the pregnancy terminates.
• To add instructions for notifying the pregnant woman of changes in her coverage when her pregnancy terminates earlier or later than anticipated, thus causing the period for which she is eligible to be shortened or lengthened.
• To provide requirements for evaluating ongoing Medicaid eligibility when the woman ceases to be eligible for Medicaid coverage as a pregnant woman. Her authorization may not end until a determination of eligibility under all other Medicaid aid program/categories is completed.
• To ensure that the pregnant woman is given timely notice before pregnant woman coverage ends. The new timely notice code is "1F" and will be in the EIS Manual, Section 4000 Appendix B, effective May 1, 2001.
• To delete references to deprivation as an eligibility requirement for caretaker coverage.
The manual is revised effective May 1, 2001. Apply these changes as follows:
This is not a change in policy but rather a clarification of existing policy. Upon receipt of this notice, ensure that you are authorizing the 60 day postpartum period regardless of the reason for the termination of pregnancy.
Apply this policy for any pregnancy that terminates on or after May 31, 2001.
Apply this policy for any pregnant woman whose Medicaid eligibility as a pregnant woman ends on or after May 31, 2001.
Insert MA-3220, effective 5/1/01
If you have questions regarding this material, please contact your Medicaid Program Representative.
Paul R. Perruzzi
[This policy material was researched and written by Jackie Franklin, Policy Consultant, Medicaid Eligibility Unit.]
For questions or clarification on any of the policy contained in these manuals, please contact your local county office.