Family & Children's Medicaid Change Notices
CHANGE NOTICE FOR MANUAL N0. 14-03, Parental Financial Responsibility in MPW
Manual: Family and Children’s Medicaid
Change No: 14-03
To: County Directors of Social Services
Effective: October 1, 2002
I. POLICY CHANGES:
A. Application of Parental Financial Responsibility in Determining Eligibility in MPW
B. Corrections Related to Child Support Referrals for Unborn Children
Policy in MA-3300, MAF, MIC, HSF Budgeting, is corrected to indicate that child support referrals are not to be made to establish paternity or support for unborn children. Pregnant women are not required to cooperate with Child Support Enforcement (IV-D) for their unborn children. (Refer to MA-3365, Child Support, III.C.1., and MA-3240, Pregnant Women Coverage, II.A.11., and III.A.4.) Therefore, no IV-D referral should be made for an unborn child.
C. Clarifications Related to Evaluations of MPW Recipients at the End of the Post Partum Period
Policy in MA-3240, Pregnant Woman Coverage, and in MA-3420, Re-Enrollment, is revised to make it clear that prior to the end of the post partum period a re-enrollment must be completed. This re-enrollment follows MAF re-enrollment policy.
D. Miscellaneous Changes
1. In MA-3240, Pregnant Woman Coverage, MA-3305, MAF, MIC, HSF Budgeting, MA-3420, Re-Enrollment, and MA-3425, Certification and Authorization, clarifications were added that recipients may not be terminated unless they have been evaluated for eligibility under all aid program/ categories.
2. MA-3305, MAF, MIC, HSF Budgeting, was revised to agree with MA-3240 that a verbal request for termination is acceptable. However, the case must be sent a timely notice instead of the adequate notice allowed with a written request.
3. MA-3420, Re-Enrollment, currently says when a person is listed on a mail-in review form but is not a recipient, he must be evaluated for all coverage including MAABD. However, if the person is only eligible for MAABD, he has not completed an MAABD application. If the person is ineligible in any Family and Children’s aid program/category, but may be eligible in an Aged, Blind, or Disabled aid program/category, the person should be referred to make an MAABD application.
4. An instruction is added to MA-3420, Re-Enrollment, to evaluate the child of a formerly pregnant woman when re-enrolling her at the end of her post partum period.
5. MA-3420, Re-Enrollment, and MA-3425, Certification and Authorization, are revised to clearly indicate that when a case did not meet its deductible in the previous certification period, a re-enrollment must be conducted to determine if it is anticipated that the case will meet the deductible in the next certification period.
6. MA-3425, Certification and Authorization, is revised to state that when changes in situation occur that allow matching the certification periods of different cases, a case may be changed only at the next re-enrollment.
7. Throughout the revised sections, corrections were made to section numbers and titles.
II. IMPLEMENTATION INSTRUCTIONS
III. MAINTENANCE OF MANUAL INSTRUCTIONS
A. MA-3240, Pregnant Woman Coverage
B. MA-3305, MAF, MIC, HSF Budgeting
C. MA-3310, MPW Budgeting
D. MA-3420, Re-Enrollment
E. MA-3425, Certification and Authorization
If you have any questions please contact your Medicaid Program Representative.
[This material was researched and written by Andy Wilson, Supervisor, Medicaid Eligibility Policy Unit.]