Family and Children's Medicaid MA-3200 INITIAL CONTACT
V. Exceptions to THE right to BE INTERVIEWED the same day the individual appears in the agency
A. An individual must be afforded an interview on the day he appears at the agency and requests assistance unless:
1. The individual arrives at DSS within an hour of the close of business, and there is insufficient time or staff to conduct the interview, or
2. The individual voluntarily leaves the DSS before he can be interviewed, without informing the receptionist, or
3. The individual voluntarily makes a request for an appointment on another day. The agency must not suggest that the individual make an appointment when he appears at the agency, or
4. The individual voluntarily requests a mail-in application for an allowable Family and Children’s Medicaid program and the record clearly documents that the date of application for a mail-in application was explained to the individual.
B. When an appointment is requested or required, a staff member must:
1. Have an application signed by the individual, and
REISSUED 04/01/11 - CHANGE NO. 01-11
2. Explain that the date of application is protected when the application is signed, and
3. Explain that the application cannot be processed unless the interview is completed, and
4. Document why the appointment was made, and
5. Gather sufficient information to complete the DSS-8124 and to contact the individual later, if necessary, and
6. Schedule a mutually agreeable appointment for the interview. When possible, make the appointment for the next workday, and
7. Give or mail the DMA-5097/DMA-5097S, Request for Information, with the scheduled date and time for the interview.
8. If the individual fails to keep the scheduled appointment, send a DMA-5097/DMA-5097S scheduling a second appointment. Schedule the appointment at least 13 days after the first appointment so there are 12 calendar days between appointments.
If the individual fails to keep the second appointment, see MA-3215, Processing the Application, for procedures to deny the application.