Family and Children's Medicaid MA-3230 ELIGIBILITY OF INDIVIDUALS UNDER Age 21
VIII. COVERAGE OF CHILDREN IN ADOPTION AGENCIES AND CHILD CARING FACILITIES FOR WHOM THE COUNTY DOES NOT HAVE ANY RESPONSIBILITY
A. Apply These Procedures Only For The Children Who Are In:
1. The legal custody of a private, non-profit adoption agency.
2. The care of a private, non-profit child caring facility.
3. A publicly operated group home.
B. General Guidelines
1. Private, Non-profit Adoption Agencies
a. Children in the legal custody of a private, non-profit adoption agency may receive Medicaid under the M-AF or M-IC aid program/category prior to adoptive placement if they meet the regulations in section I. (MAF) or III. (MIC).
REISSUED 11/01/09– CHANGE NO. 12-09
2. Private Non-Profit Child Caring Facilities:
The county DSS children’s services section has a current listing of all licensed private, non-profit child caring facilities in North Carolina. These facilities include children’s homes and small group homes. There are also licensed private foster family homes under these facilities. The private facilities can confirm whether the foster family homes are licensed. The county DSS can also verify the status of these facilities by contacting the Division of Social Services Foster Care Office at (919) 733-9464 or the National Child Welfare Gate Way to Information website at www.childwelfare.gov/nfcad.
The county DSS can verify whether a non-licensed child caring facility has private, non-profit status by contacting the Secretary of State, Corporations Office, at (919) 807-2000 between 12:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. and giving the exact name of the facility.
a. The caseworker/representative with the private, non-profit child caring facility must certify in writing the expected duration of placement.
REISSUED 08/01/13– CHANGE N0. 04-13
(1) If the statement indicates the placement is expected to be 12 months or less, parental responsibility applies. Evaluate the child under M-AF or M-IC regulations.
(2) If the statement indicates placement is expected to exceed 12 months, parental financial responsibility does not apply. Evaluate the child under M-AF or M-IC regulations.
b. If the facility has legal custody of the child (generally the facilities do not have custody), evaluate the child under M-AF or M-IC regulations in I. or III.
C. Instructions For Authorization
1. Follow application regulations and procedures in MA-3200, Initial Contact, through MA-3215, Processing the Application.
a. Key a DSS-8124.
b. Classification is Categorically or Medically Needy and the aid program/category is
M-AF or M-IC.
2. Key the DSS-8125 and follow the usual certification/authorization procedures in MA-3425, Certification and Authorization.