Family and Children's Medicaid MA-3332 US CITIZENSHIP REQUIREMENTS
V. Citizenship and Identity REQUIREMENTS at Redetermination
Citizenship and identity documentation is required at application and does not need to be re-established at redetermination. Conduct an SOLQ social security number inquiry for each recipient at re-enrollment.
There are a few exceptions when the case record may not contain citizenship documentation at redetermination.
A. North Carolina Health Choice Children
1. The citizenship/identity documentation requirement does not apply to North Carolina Health Choice (NCHC) recipients who applied prior to January 1, 2010. NCHC recipients who applied prior to January 1, 2010 and did not provide documentation of citizenship have a C/I code 98 in EIS. At redetermination, citizenship does not have to be established for these individuals who continue to be NCHC eligible. Complete the redetermination and continue to use C/I code 98.
ISSUED 07/01/10 -CHANGE NO. 06-10
c. Contact the third party source or the recipient to determine status of obtaining the documents.
d. Continue to use Special Review Code “Z” for another 3 months. Continue to contact the recipient every 3 months or until the end of the certification period, provided:
(1) The recipient has not yet provided documents but continues to make a good faith effort to obtain the documents, or
(2) The county has not received documentation or a response from an inquiry made to assist the client.
(3) Terminate at any time when a response is received indicating that no documentation confirming citizenship/identity is found or the recipient is not continuing a good faith effort to obtain the documents or provide the county with information needed to assist in obtaining documentation.
3. If documentation confirming citizenship/identity is not provided by or at the end of the certification period, complete the DSS 8125, update the C/I code to C/I code 97 with the date the first DMA-5097 was sent requesting the documentation. Terminate the case effective the last day of the current certification period. The individual has received reasonable opportunity to provide documentation of citizenship/identity and must provide documentation confirming citizenship/identity at reapplication.
4. If the recipient cannot obtain the necessary documents, requests help, or has special needs demonstrating a need for assistance and lacks someone who can act on his behalf, the county must assist the recipient in acquiring the documents including cost involved. See IV.A. above to establish citizenship through electronic data matching with the local register of deeds.
B. Ex Parte
1. Use OLV to document citizenship and identity for current or former SSI and Medicare recipients. Use OLV to access the SDX to document citizenship and identity for former SSI recipients. Use OLV to access the SOLQ to document citizenship and identity for current or former SSDI and Medicare recipients. Continue to use C/I code 50.
2. If the individual is changing programs and an 8124 is required, a SSA data match is completed.
REISSUED 11/01/11 – CHANGE NO. 15-11