Family and Children's Medicaid MA-3365 CHILD SUPPORT
V. MAKING A REFERRAL TO IV-D
Prior to referring a case to IV-D, review exceptions in II. B.
A. Explain to the caretaker that he will be asked to do the following things:
1. Name the parent of any child applying for or receiving Medicaid, and give information to help find the parent.
2. Help determine the legal father of the child if the child was born out of wedlock.
3. Report money which is given directly to the caretaker by the non-custodial parent or the caretaker’s absent spouse.
4. Come to the social services office, the child support office, or the court to sign papers or give necessary information.
REVISED 11/01/11 – CHANGE NOTICE 15-11
B. Explain cooperation and good cause for non-cooperation to the caretaker.
1. Review requirements on the application/redetermination document when completing an application or redetermination.
2. Have the caretaker sign and date the DSS-5334, Notice of Requirement to Cooperate and Right to Claim Good Cause for Refusal to Cooperate in Child Support Enforcement.
C. If the caretaker refuses to provide information regarding the non-custodial parent’s identity and location or states that he does not know the identity of the non-custodial parent:
1. Complete the referral to IV-D. Enter UNKNOWN UNKNOWN for absent parent (AP) name. Use the Notepad function to explain the reason the information was omitted.
2. Do not deny the application or terminate an ongoing case for failure to provide information regarding the non-custodial parent.
D. At application, complete a referral for each non-custodial parent. If the applicant alleges good cause but has not provided verification, indicate that the good cause determination is pending. Refer to IV.
E. When the application is to add an additional person to an ongoing case, or pending application, access the referral by keying the DSS-8124. EIS case and individual information is automatically brought forward to the referral. Other information (non-custodial parent, etc.) must be keyed on the referral screens.
F. Complete a referral for newborns who receive under automatic newborn coverage when the caretaker has applied for or is receiving Medicaid for herself or has requested services through Child Support and agrees to cooperate.
1. Do not send the referral prior to the end of the mother’s postpartum continuation period unless she requests that the referral be made earlier.
2. When keying the DSS-8124 to authorize the newborn, press PF2 to exit the referral screens unless the mother has agreed to cooperate and requests that the referral be sent earlier.
3. When completing the re-enrollment for the caretaker at the end of the MPW certification period, if a referral is required obtain information regarding the non-custodial parent. Key the referral through the IV-D Menu in EIS.
REISSUED 11/01/11 – CHANGE NO. 15-11
G. When reopening a case where an individual has previously been referred to IV-D, key the minimal data necessary to send a referral plus any additional changes of which you are aware. If a referral is not completed, IV-D will be unaware the case has been re-opened and automatic updates and information exchanges will not take place.
Send additional or new information on the non-custodial parent by accessing the appropriate screen through the IV-D Menu in EIS.
H. IV-D places high priority on medical support for cases which have one of the following criteria. When referring high priority cases, indicate on the Notepad function that it is “High Priority” and the reason.
1. Children with high medical costs (disabled children, children requiring frequent hospitalization or with special medical needs, etc.).
2. Casehead has a great deal of information about the non-custodial parent or has frequent contact with the non-custodial parent.
3. There is high potential for support (i.e. insurance is available through non-custodial parent’s employer). When IV-D reports that health insurance coverage has been established, the Third Party Recovery Section at the Division of Medical Assistance will verify coverage and will key the Third Party Health and Accident Resources Information form (DMA-2041) into EIS. The county dss will receive the turnaround document.
4. A support order exists, but does not include medical support or medical support payments. IV-D will notify the Third Party Recovery Section of the terms of the support order.