Family and Children's Medicaid MA-3540 Medicaid Covered Services
XXIii. HEARING AID SERVICES
Refer to DMA’s website at http://www.dhhs.state.nc.us/dma/mp/mpindex.htm for specific coverage criteria, prior approval requirements, and service limitations.
A. Covered Services
1. Hearing aids are covered services for Medicaid eligible recipients under age 21.
2. Initial care kit (one per lifetime)
3. Custom ear molds
4. Cords, garments, harnesses, and other accessories
7. Dispensing fees
8. FM systems
REISSUED 08/01/11 – CHANGE NO. 14-11
REVISED 08/01/11 – CHANGE NO. 14-11
D. Prior Approval
1. It is the provider's responsibility to obtain prior approval if needed. (Refer to II.G. for additional information.)
2. Prior approval is required for all covered services EXCEPT batteries.
3. Individual consideration is given to requests for replacement hearing aids (lost, stolen, damaged) if the request is confirmed in writing by the county DSS and the parent or guardian.
4. Replacement of an inadequate hearing aid (too weak, too strong) will be given consideration when the prior approval request is accompanied by test results and documentation by a physician/audiologist.