A. SSI Recipients
1. General Rule for SSI Recipients
SSI recipients automatically meet the resource requirements for SA, including transfer of resources requirements. SSI policy requires sanctions for non-allowable transfers, except in situations where the sanction would create a hardship on individuals who have insufficient income/resources to provide for their basic maintenance.
2. A/R’s Who Are Ineligible For SSI Due To Transfer of Resources
In most cases an a/r who is ineligible for SSI due to transfer of resources is ineligible for SA. The exception is for transfers that occurred prior to 11/1/02. SSI implemented transfer sanctions effective 1/1/00. There may be a/r’s who are ineligible for SSI because of transfers that occurred after 1/1/00 but before 11/1/02. These a/rs may be eligible for SA if they meet all other SA eligibility requirements.
3. SSI Hardship Provision
If the a/r transfers a resource but is eligible for SSI under the SSI hardship exception, the a/r meets the resource and transfer of resources requirements for SA.
B. Non-SSI Recipients
1. Transfer rules in this section apply to all non-SSI applicants for and recipients of Special Assistance, including the Special Assistance In-Home (SA/IH) Program.
2. Apply these rules to transfers made by the a/r, or by any person with legal authority to act in place of or on behalf of the a/r.
3. Transfer rules apply to transfers of any real or personal property or liquid resources owned by the a/r. They also apply to transfers of income, including lump sums, which are transferred during the month of receipt.
4. Resources owned solely by the a/r’s spouse (or by the spouse jointly with individuals other than the a/r) are not considered in determining eligibility for SA. The budget unit for SA is always one. The a/r may transfer any resource to a spouse at any time with no sanction. Refer to V.D.
5. There is no hardship exception for a/r’s who are financially ineligible for SSI.
For questions or clarification on any of the policy contained in these manuals, please contact your local county office.