Social Workers for the Blind are responsible for validating all information on the Register of the Blind in those counties assigned to them. To accomplish this task, SWBs will contact each person listed on their county register printouts at least annually to verify registrant information and to explain and offer agency services and resources to each person.
Rehabilitation Counselors and Nursing Eye Care Consultants are responsible for forwarding to the appropriate Social Worker for the Blind all new eye reports which indicate a vision group that is different from the code used when the person’s name was originally placed on the Register.
Using all updated registrant data and the instructions below, the Social Worker for the Blind will complete DSB-1010 and forward it to the Register Clerk in the State Office.
1. Place an “X’ in the Block marked “Change”.
2. Identify registrant by completing either Field 1: Register Number, or Field 2: Social Security Number, or Field 3: Registrant’s Name.
3. Enter data changes in appropriate fields on DSB-1010.
4. Highlight all changes using a colored highlighter pen.
5. Requests for Removals from Register must also include the following information:
a. If using Code 3: Vision Restored, the SWB must attach an eye report verifying the improved vision. If eye report is not available, attach a written statement which includes:
(1.) Name and birth date of registrant, and
(2.) Name and address of information source, and
(3.) Date vision was restored.
b. If using Code 6: Unable to Locate, the request for removal from Register will be accepted only if the following three items are documented on the reverse side of DSB-1010 and a copy of the documentation has been forwarded to the Area Supervisor.
(4.) SWB has attempted to contact person by telephone, and
(5.) A letter to registrant from SWB has been returned to SWB from U.S. Post Office marked undeliverable, and
(6.) SWB has unsuccessfully searched DSS records such as Medicaid and Food Stamps for current address and phone number of registrant.
6. Complete either Field 1: Register Number; or Field 2. Security Number or Field 3: Registrant Name.
7. Enter new county code and new address (if known).
8. Send completed DSB-1010 to Register Clerk in State Office.
9. Send copy of completed DSB-1010 to SWB in the registrant’s new county of residence.
10. If SWB in new county cannot locate registrant within six months of transfer, he/she will remove registrant’s name from Register by using Code 6: Unable to Locate. Documentation criteria in section I.E.2 above must be followed for acceptance by Register Clerk.
For questions or clarification on any of the policy contained in these
manuals, please contact the local district office.